Texas Pete® Hush Puppies w/ Cheddar Cheese & Bacon
- 2 tbsp. Texas Pete ® Original Hot Sauce (buy now)
- Peanut, grapeseed or canola oil for frying
- 1 1/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup Green Mountain Gringo® medium salsa, drained, pulsed in food processor
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, thick shred
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat fryer to 350° F or pour 4 inches of oil into a deep, heavy pot. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot and bring to 350° F over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, garlic, Texas Pete® Hot Sauce and Green Mountain Gringo® medium salsa. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Add cheese and bacon. Mix until just combined.
- Using 2 tablespoons or a #30 scoop, carefully drop balls of batter into fryer. Fry for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to paper towel lined sheet tray and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately.