Texas Pete® Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
- 4 Tbsp. Texas Pete® Hot Sauce
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil, divided
- 3 lbs. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 qts. chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 Tbsp. Cajun spice blend
- 2 (12 oz.) smoked sausages, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 C green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 C sweet peppers, seeded, chopped (orange, yellow, red)
- 1 C celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. okra, cut into ½-inch pieces*
- ½ C green onion tops, chopped
- ½ C parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. gumbo filé powder (optional)
- Rice, cooked
Products used in this recipe:
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. of oil. Add chicken; sauté until done. Set aside, reserving drippings.
- In large stockpot, add chicken stock, tomatoes, spice blend, sausage and chicken; simmer.
- To make the roux: In skillet used to sauté chicken, add remaining oil and bring to medium heat, stirring to deglaze pan. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly, until flour turns a medium-dark brown, about 7-10 minutes (do not burn).
- Turn off heat while continuing to stir, and add onion, peppers and celery.
- When the onions are tender, gently spoon roux into chicken stock mixture, stirring until mixed. Add Texas Pete® Hot Sauce, okra, green onion tops and parsley. Add filé if desired.
- Simmer one hour, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.
*Tip: To reduce the “goo” that okra can produce, sauté sliced okra in 1 Tbsp. of vinegar until partially cooked through before adding to gumbo.